Arlo Pro 3 2k Wire-free Camera
Arlo introduces another model of wire-free camera – the Arlo Pro 3 with 2K resolution, siren and color night vision, becomes one of most popular security camera with spotlights.
Arlo Pro 3
The Arlo wire-free camera series are successful in the US market starting from Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2 and now Netgear is launching Arlo Pro 3 which provides a resolution that is double that of the previous Arlo Pro 2 series.
Before introducing Arlo Pro 3, Netgear released Arlo Ultra with 4K resolution, quadruple jump the resolution compared to the previous Arlo Pro series. However, this Arlo Ultra does not get a good customer rating compared with the previous Arlo Pro series. Maybe this is also the reason Arlo released Arlo Pro 3 with a resolution of 2k so that there is no resolution gap between the previous Arlo series of resolutions of 1k (Arlo Pro), 2k (this product) and 4k (Arlo Ultra).
Arlo Ultra vs Pro 3
If you notice the two camera models look the same, both are equipped with one high power spotlight LED to add lights at night so you can view and record footage in color instead of black and white like night vision camera in general.
What are the main differences between Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Ultra which were released earlier than Arlo Pro 3? Surely the main difference is the image resolution for Arlo Pro 3 which is half of the Arlo Ultra’s image resolution. This will be a competing product for Amcrest acd2w wifi camera with spotlights.
Look at the comparative table between Arlo Ultra and Pro 3 below.
Besides the resolution, there is a difference in the width of the viewing angle, Arlo Ultra provides a full 180 degree view angle forward, so that the left and right side of your frame looks curved because the lens used is like fish eye lens type when you’re familiar with photography.
Arlo Pro 3 provides up to 4mp maximum resolution, so it does not require too much bandwidth compared to Arlo Ultra which gives twice the resolution as Pro 3. Of course, it requires a wider WiFi connection as well. Hence Arlo Ultra provides support for dual band wireless AC (802.11ac) for connection to the Arlo Ultra base station.
Arlo Pro 3 requires an Arlo Ultra base station connection. Arlo Ultra base station is based on wireless AC to allow connection to Arlo Ultra camera, but it can also connect to other Arlo 2k or Arlo Pro series.
Table 1 Arlo Ultra vs Pro 3
|Arlo Ultra||Arlo Pro 3 2k|
|Resolution||4k (3840 x 2160) / 8MP||2k (2560 x 1440) / 4MP|
|Sensor Size||½inch||1/3” inch|
|Zoom||12x digital zoom||12x digital zoom|
|Diagonal view angle||180 degree||160 degree|
|Wifi||Dual band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac||Single band @2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n|
Arlo Pro 3 is expected to get better acceptance from customers than the Arlo Ultra series. One thing that you need to know about Arlo wire-free camera is that you cannot purchase a single camera product, but you need to purchase the base station to make it work.
- Wire-free camera with 2k (4mp) resolution, twice the resolution of those 1080p cameras
- Wide 160 degree diagonal view angle, a bit narrower than Arlo Ultra
- Comes with 6500K, 42Lux spotlight to support color night vision
- Auto track with digital zoom (12x digital zoom)
- HDR support for better image detail and colors
- High powered infrared LEDs 850nm
- Two way audio with built-in Microphone and speaker
- Same as Arlo Ultra comes with built-in smart siren you can trigger remotely or works automatically during events / motion detection
- Wireless n (802.11b/g/n) single 2.4Ghz band
- Battery powered with 3~6 months life time
- 3 months Arlo smart service and 30 days rolling cloud storage
- includes a trial of Arlo Smart service, when expired you need to select smart plan or stop access cloud recordings, intelligent alerts, and other smart features
when you opt out not to continue the smart features you still get standard services such as push notification, live stream, auto zoom and tracking.
Click the link below to learn more spec details and shop in Amazon.
For large scale monitoring system you may consider 32 channel surveillance system – see Amcrest and Hikvision 32 channel security system.