One of the difficulties in placing a security camera in a strategic outdoor location is providing a power supply, and one of the solutions is to use a camera with battery power. Rechargeable batteries also require attention when it comes to replacing the battery or recharge them. So that’s why, the best solution is to use a security camera with solar power.
Best Solar Powered Camera
With solar power security camera, power is supplied continuously as long as the solar panels get adequate sunlight during the day so that the battery is fully charged to supply power to the security camera. The following lists one of best solar powered security cameras offered by each of the vendors.
1. Blink Outdoor
One of the security camera products released by Amazon at a very economical price is Blink outdoor / indoor 3rd generation. If you compare this Blink series with most popular products in the market Arlo wire-free camera, the price is almost a third of Arlo. See also the comparison of Blink outdoor vs Arlo wire-free camera.
Blink outdoor 3rd generation is a wire-free model using 2x AA 1.5V non-rechargeable lithium battery as power, so if the battery runs out, just replace it with a new one without having to think about recharging, and blink claims this 2x AA lithium battery can last up to two years with standard usage.
Besides that, blink also provides an add-on solar panel camera so that it provides continuous power that recharges the camera battery when there is sunlight. With this solar panel module, you can attach the camera to the provided axis or detach it from the module and place the camera up to 2ft apart.
- 3rd generation of Blink Outdoor with full HD 1080p @30 fps resolution
- Wire-free outdoor security camera powered by no-rechargeable 2x AA Lithium battery
- Solar panel mount with 1 preinstalled 18650 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, you can attach the camera or detach it apart up to 2ft
- Motion detection with IR PIR Sensor with adjustable sensitivity; night vision range up to 20 ft
- Sync module can manage up to 10 Blink cameras
- Two way audio with built-in speaker and microphones
- Powerful Immedia Proprietary AC1002B, Quad core processor 200 MHz
- Local storage on Sync module 2 series with USB flash disk, 60-days cloud storage with Blink subscription plan
- Wifi 802.11b/g/n single band connection to the sync module
- IP65 weatherproof
- Works with Alexa
- Doesn’t support AI (human and vehicle detection)
- Not so fast in motion detection to record the video footage
Blink solar panel cannot stand alone, you need to buy Blink kit which consists of Sync module (ver 1 or 2) and up to 10 cameras including add-on Blink outdoor solar panel module. Blink outdoor is one of best solar powered security camera with affordable price.
2. Reolink Argus PT
Unlike Blink which cannot work stand alone but requires a sync module, Reolink Argus PT can work alone and connect directly to your wifi network at home. And one more apparent difference is that this Reolink argus pt has panning and tilting capabilities like PTZ cameras in general that can panning endless 360 degrees covering the whole area. While Blink is only a fixed lens camera with a single point of view angle only.
Unlike Blink outdoor which is powered by a non-rechargeable AA battery, the outdoor Reolink is powered by a rechargeable battery. As a consequence in terms of solar panel option, Blink provides an add-on solar panel mount that contains a rechargeable battery and a solar panel. On the other hand, since Reolink comes with rechargeable battery, it only requires solar panel that recharges the battery in the camera when the sun is shining.
With panning up to 355 degree horizontally, this Reolink Argus security camera with solar power becomes one of best solar powered security cameras in the market with affordable price.
- High quality CMOS image sensor with Starlight technology for high performance in low light condition
- Full HD 1080p with 105 degree and 6x digital zoom
- Pan and Tilt features, up to 355 degree panning horizontally and up to 140 degree tilting vertically, covering the whole viewing angle of your property
- Color night vision in low light condition with Starlight image sensor, range up to 33ft 910m). B/W night vision with 6pcs 850nm IR LEDs
- Two way audio with built-in speaker and microphone
- Support local memory SD card up to 64GB and Reolink cloud, free cloud storage 1GB for 7 the last days footage. Paid service cloud plan is also available
- Solar powered with non-removable rechargeable 6500mAh battery
- Sensitive digital PIR sensor with timely and accurate alerts
- 2.4GHz radio band with external antenna
- Free Reolink App for easy setup
With Reolink Argus pt you only need to place one Argus camera to cover all your 360-degree area which you can control with your mobile device and the Reolink app remotely. Reolink Argus is sold at an affordable price of only around $ 159.99. Compared to the Zumimal which can only cover up to 130 degrees, Argus can cover the entire room up to 360 degrees.
Click here to SHOP Reolink Argus pt in Amazon (#Ads)
3. Ring Stick Up
One of the Amazon device products is the Ring Stick Up camera which can also be equipped with Ring’s Solar power, so you don’t have to worry about running out of batteries or power failure. Compared to both Blink and Reolink products as discussed above which are equipped with rechargeable battery, Ring is equipped with POE power with CAT5e UTP cable connection in addition of battery and can also be wifi connection (802.11b/g/n).
- Full HD 1080p resolution with live view via your mobile devices and Ring app
- Wide field of view angle 110 degree horizontal (130 degree diagonal) and 57 degree vertical
- Two way audio with built-in microphone and speaker
- Motion detection with customized zones and also remote activated siren
- Clear night vision
- Weatherproof Outdoor use with solar power
- POE and wireless 802.11b/g/n single band
- Ring protect plan with free 30-days cloud storage
- No local memory card, you need to subscribe cloud storage plan
Ring Stick Up is tagged with higher price than Zumimal, almost the same money as Reolink ptz camera.
4. Soliom S600
Similar product as offered by Reolink Argus as discussed above you may also consider is Soliom S600 security camera with larger solar panel. When you compared Soliom with Reolink Argus above see that Soliom offers larger battery capacity up to threefold as high capacity as Reolink Argus.
In addition, Soliom comes with Spotlights white LEDs to illuminate bright light around the camera to allow you record in color night vision. You may also like to turn on the spotlight for black and white night vision like security camera in general. Today, you can find many models of security camera with color night vision such as Annke BR200 color night vision or you may like GW Security 8 channels AI with color night vision.
- Full HD 1080p resolution PTZ outdoor security camera with wall mounting base and adjustable solar panel angle
- Comes with built-in high quality Starlight CMOS image sensor for high performance in low light condition
- Color night vision with 4x white LEDs Spotlight ON, or Black and White night vision with 2pcs IR LEDs with range of up to 32ft (10m)
- Two way audio communication with built-in speaker and microphone
- Wireless connection with standard 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connection @ 2.4GHz
- PIR sensor with 155 degree view angle range up to 30ft
- PTZ support with 320 degree horizontal panning, up to 90 degree tilting and 3x digital zoom
- Large solar panel with battery box that can consists of up to 6pcs of batteries, preinstalled 3pcs of 3000mAh battery (9000mAh), you can add 3 more batteries for up to 18650mAh capacity
- Easy to install with QR code scan and free Soliom+ app
- Support local memory micro SD Card up to 64GB and one month free cloud storage
This Soliom S600 ptz outdoor security camera gets excellent customer rated in Amazon with affordable price around $199 and frequently comes with the deal for only $129.00. Soliom S600 with high rated customer rated becomes one of best solar powered security camera in Amazon with affordable price.
For 8 channels NVR system for business needs, you may consider Lorex 8 channel active deterrent security cameras vs Reolink, or the larger channels requirement you may consider GW Security 32 channels system kit
For homes with baby or pet, consider Vtech Vm5436 video baby monitor.