Why solar powered security cameras, what brands are popular ones, and how to select the best solar powered security camera?
In this article:
Top Rated best solar security cameras in 2023
Solar Powered Cameras Solution
When an electrical outlet is not available near the location where you need to install a security camera, you can opt for a battery-powered camera that runs on either disposable or rechargeable batteries. However, most people prefer rechargeable batteries over disposable ones.
When the camera alerts you to recharge the battery, you need to replace it with a fully charged one. To avoid this hassle, you can use solar power as a battery charger, especially in areas with abundant sunlight during the day. This aligns with the idea of using renewable energy.
In addition to eliminating the need for a power cable, a security camera with solar power requires a Wi-Fi connectivity feature for remote access. If the camera is far from the wired internet network, it is better to use a wired connection, as it is more reliable against signal interference. Most solar-powered security cameras available today have a Wi-Fi adapter for wire-free connectivity.
Most homes security camera products today come with wifi connectivity including Reolink, Arlo, Ring Stickup and still more. Solar powered security cameras mostly use wire-free feature. So what is a solar powered security camera?
A solar-powered security camera is a type of security camera that uses solar panels to convert sunlight into electrical energy, which is then stored in batteries to power the camera. The camera can operate independently of the power grid, making it a good choice for remote or off-grid locations where traditional wired cameras are not practical. Solar-powered cameras are often wireless and can transmit data to a central monitoring system via cellular or Wi-Fi networks.
When selecting best solar security cameras, there are several factors to consider. Here are some tips and buyer guidelines to help you make an informed decision:
- Power source: Check the capacity and efficiency of the solar panel and battery. The solar panel should be large enough to recharge the battery in a reasonable amount of time and the battery should be powerful enough to last through the night and cloudy days.
- Connectivity: Consider the type of connectivity the camera uses, such as single band or dual band Wi-Fi or cellular. Ensure that the camera has strong and reliable connectivity to ensure the transmission of data. See also Blink vs Arlo wire-free cameras.
- Resolution and Field of View: Check the resolution of the camera to ensure it provides high-quality footage; at least 1080p resolution is appropriate for homes. However, a higher resolution will result in a clearer image, but it may also use more storage space. Also, consider the field of view and make sure it covers the area you want to monitor.
- Motion Detection: Look for a camera that has smart motion detection features, which can send notifications to your phone or other devices when motion is detected. AI-based motion detection that can differentiate motion due to human, vehicle, and pet is much better than standard motion detection.
- Weather Resistance: Check that the camera is designed to withstand extreme weather conditions such as IP65, IP67, especially if you live in an area with extreme temperatures or heavy rainfall.
- Brand and Customer Support: Look for reputable brands with good customer support in case you encounter any issues with the camera.
- Cost: Finally, consider the cost of the camera, including any installation or maintenance costs, and compare it to other cameras with similar features and capabilities.
Top 5 Top Rated Best Solar Powered Cameras
Looking for the best solar powered security camera is like shooting a flying target, there will always come new products with higher specs and features. By considering the above factors we just discussed and doing your research, you can select a solar-powered security camera that meets your needs and provides reliable security for your property.
One of most popular solar power security camera is offered by Amazon ring stick up cam solar series.
Ring Stick up cam solar
Ring is a well-known brand for home security solutions, which includes security cameras, doorbells, security systems, and smart lighting. The Ring Stickup Cam Solar is one of their best solar-powered camera offerings for homes. The Ring Stickup Cam series has several power options, including the Ring Stickup Cam Battery, Stickup Cam Plug-In, Stickup Cam Solar Power, and Stickup Cam Elite Series.
If your home receives adequate sunlight during the day, the Ring Stickup Cam Solar is an ideal choice with its 1080p resolution and color night vision in ambient light. Even if your home does not receive sufficient sunlight, the camera comes with battery backup and the option to plug-in for charging.
- This camera is powered by solar energy with 1080p resolution and 130 degree wide angle view angle, which can be a major advantage for those who want to avoid the hassle of constantly replacing batteries or running electrical wiring to the camera’s location.
- The Ring Stick Up Cam Solar is designed to be easy to install and set up, even for those with limited technical skills.
- The camera connects to your home wifi network, so you can view live footage and receive alerts on your phone or other devices.
- Versatile placement: With a wireless connection and solar power, you can place the camera virtually anywhere with good sun exposure.
- Integration with other Ring devices: If you already have other Ring devices, such as a ring doorbell camera, the Stick Up Cam can easily integrate with those devices to create a comprehensive home security system.
- Works with Alexa
- Limited resolution: The camera only records video in 1080p resolution, which may not be as clear or detailed as other cameras on the market.
- Subscription service required: To access certain features, such as cloud storage of video footage, you will need to subscribe to a monthly plan with Ring, which can add to the overall cost of ownership.
This ring stickup cam solar series is exceptionally popular for homes and becomes one of best solar powered security camera products available in the market to date. Customer’s acceptance is excellent knowing that the rated is always above 4+ in some of online retail stores. Click the link below to learn more details and see best deal in Amazon (#ads).
Who other vendors offering similar products? The other similar products that become the best solar security cameras in the market are listed below.
2. Reolink Argus PT 2k
One significant difference between the Reolink Argus PT and popular brands like Ring and Arlo is its panning and tilting capabilities. This feature allows the camera to cover a vast area by panning endlessly 360 degrees and tilting up to 105 degrees. Additionally, this camera has digital zoom capabilities, allowing you to focus in on specific areas.
The Reolink Argus PT is powered by a rechargeable battery, but you can choose to add a Reolink solar panel to make it more sustainable. The latest model offers a 2k (4MP) resolution and a diagonal field of view angle of 122 degrees, making it an excellent option for those who want high-quality images and a wider field of view.
- Super Full HD 2K (4MP) with 122 degree diagonal field of view angle and 16x digital zoom
- Night vision with 6pcs IR LEDs range up to 33ft (10m)
- Supports up to 100 degree horizontal PIR detection up to 33ft distance; you can customized the PIR sensitivity and schedule;
- Smarter features with human and vehicle detection with customized verbal alerts with its two way audio communications and built-in speaker and microphone
- Pan and Tilt features, up to 355 degree panning horizontally and up to 140 degree tilting vertically, covering the whole viewing angle of your property you can manage and control remotely with its reolink app
- Wireless connectivity 802.11b/g/n with single 2.4GHz radio band
- DC power and 6000mAh rechargeable battery with optional reolink Solar power eliminating the need for electrical outlets or regular battery replacements.
- Supports local micro SD card storage up to 128GB and optional cloud storage
- Weather-resistant: The camera is rated for outdoor use and can withstand a range of weather conditions.
- Motion detection issues: Some users have reported issues with the motion detection feature not working as expected, either triggering too frequently or not at all in some cases.
With a price of under $150, Reolink Argus pt with 2k resolution is appropriate for homes outdoor, featured water resistant you can install it in locations exposed to hot and rainy environment and with the option of a solar panel, Reolink Argus pt is one of the best solar power cameras in its class and is not costly.
There are bunch of solar powered security camera products in the market and one of most popular ones is also introduced by Solium S600.
3. Soliom S600
Similar product as offered by Reolink Argus pt as discussed above you may also consider is Soliom S600 security camera with larger solar panel. When you compared Soliom with Reolink Argus above you can find that Soliom offers larger battery capacity up to threefold as high capacity as Reolink Argus.
In addition, Soliom comes with Spotlights white LEDs to illuminate bright light around the camera to allow you record in color night vision. You may also like to turn on the spotlight for black and white night vision like security camera in general.
Today, you can find many models of security camera with color night vision such as Annke BR200 color night vision or you may like GW Security 8 channels AI with color night vision.
- Starlight image sensor with 1080p resolution
- The camera features a diagonal 160-degree wide-angle lens, which provides a broad view of the surrounding area and supports 3x digital zoom
- Comes with 4x white spotlights
- 2x IR LEDs night vision range up to 32ft (10m), color night vision with controllable white spotlights to capture clear images and videos even in low light conditions.
- Digital PIR sensor 120 degree detection angle
- 320 degree panning and 90 degree tilting
- Two way audio with built-in speaker and microphone and features noise cancellation allows you to communicate with visitors or potential intruders through the app on your phone.
- 4000mAh rechargeable battery, you can install up to 18650mAh battery with solar panel, you don’t need to worry about running wires or changing batteries frequently
- Local memory micro SD Card up to 128GB and supports cloud storage
- IP65 weatherproof
- Wide-angle lens: The camera features a 160-degree wide-angle lens, which provides a broad view of the surrounding area.
- Motion detection: The camera has a sensitive motion detection sensor, which sends you notifications when it detects movement.
- App functionality: Some users have reported that the Soliom app can be difficult to use, with slow loading times and occasional glitches.
- Limited mounting options: The camera is designed to be mounted on a flat surface, which may not be suitable for some users who want more flexibility in placement. There is also no option to mount the camera on a wall or ceiling.
- Lower resolution: The camera has a 1080p resolution, which is lower than some other models on the market that offer 2K or 4K resolution. This may result in slightly lower image quality.
As comparison the following spec comparison table shows you more details the strengths and weaknesses of each the products.
The Reolink Argus PT boasts double the resolution of the Soliom, resulting in superior image quality and sharper details. In addition, the Reolink camera supports 16x digital zoom, a significant upgrade compared to Soliom’s 3x digital zoom, which is understandable considering Soliom’s maximum resolution is only 1080p.
While the Soliom S600 comes with an integrated solar panel, the Reolink solar panel is an optional accessory that can be easily attached or removed as needed.
One of the standout features of the Soliom S600 is its 4 white LED lights, allowing it to capture color night vision in addition to black and white night vision. This is a notable advantage compared to the Reolink, which only features IR LEDs and can only capture black and white night vision with the help of a daylight sensor. However, the Soliom’s lower resolution compared to the Reolink may be considered a drawback despite its color night vision capability.
When it comes to event detection, it is more reliable if the camera can detect humans and vehicles instead of just motion. Reolink offers smarter event detection with its ability to distinguish human and vehicle detection. With this feature, the Reolink Argus PT is more accurate and can reduce false alerts.
Read more detail the following comparison table between these two products.
Table 1 Reolink Argus vs Soliom solar power cameras
|Solar powered security camera models||Reolink Argus PT||Soliom S600|
|Image Sensor||1/3inch CMOS image sensor||Starlight image sensor|
|Resolution||2k (4MP) 2560 x 1440 @15fps||Full HD 1080p|
|Video format||Supports H.265||Supports H.264+|
|Field of view angle||122 degree diagonal||160 degree diagonal view angle|
|Zoom||16x digital zoom||3x digital zoom|
|Spotlight||N/A||Yes, 4pcs white LEDs|
|Night vision||6pcs IR LEDs range up to 33ft (10m)||B/W with 2x IR LEDs range up to 32ft (10m) and color night vision with controllable white LEDs|
|PIR sensor||100 degree detection angle, distance up to 33ft (10m)||Digital PIR sensor 120 degree detecting angle|
|Event detection||PIR detection Human and vehicle detection||Motion detection|
|PT||Panning up to 355 degree horizontal and up to 140 degree vertical||Panning up to 320 degree horizontal and up to 90 degree vertical|
|Audio||Two way with built-in speaker and microphone||Two way audio with noise cancellation, built-in speaker and microphone|
|Connectivity||802.11b/g/n wifi @2.4GHz band||802.11b/g/n wifi @2.4GHz band|
|Power||DC5V/2A with USB power adapter; 6000mAh rechargeable battery Optional Reolink solar panel||4000mAh rechargeable battery, you can install up to 18650mAh battery with solar panel|
|Memory storage||Local memory storage micro SD Card up to 128GB Cloud storage option available||Local memory micro SD Card up to 128GB and supports cloud storage|
|Outdoor||IP64 weatherproof||IP65 weatherproof|
|Dimension & weight||Φ98 x 112 mm 470 gram (16.5oz)||11.3 in x 7.8 in x 6.6 in (28.6 cm x 19.8 cm x 16.8 cm)|
|Price (Amazon Apr 2023)||$139.99||$149.00|
The price difference is not too much, you can say that they are tagged with the same price. Prices are always fluctuated over time. Click the product’s link below to read more details in Amazon (#ads).
- Click here to SHOP Reolink Argus pt
- Or select the color night vision model, Click here to SHOP Soliom S600
4. ieGeek Solar Camera
It feels great to find a product with the best deal from a big vendor. However, when it comes to products from lesser-known brands without any attractive offers, it is unlikely that customers will show interest unless they receive excellent ratings. Despite not being a well-known brand, ieGeek’s solar-powered security camera has been receiving excellent ratings on Amazon. This product is being offered at a fantastic discount of up to 50% off the original price in some event if you are lucky, and its rating always remains above 4+ stars.
The camera is built with a sturdy housing that has an IP65 weatherproof rating, new upgrade in 2023 with 5MP HD resolution, and the ability to pan up to 355 degrees horizontally and tilt vertically up to 120 degree. It also provides vivid daytime and color night vision.
- Good resolution Ultra HD 5MP resolution @15fps security camera with solar power
- 2.8mm fixed lens with f/2.0 wide aperture, 120 degree diagonal field of view (100 degree H),
- Color Night vision in ambient light: The camera is equipped with infrared night vision, which allows it to capture clear video footage even in low light conditions. Night visibility up to 15m 1W spotlights LED, range up to 10m night vision
- Two-way audio: The camera is equipped with a speaker and microphone, which allows for two-way audio communication.
- 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz single band wifi connectivity
- Rechargeable battery 15,000mAh, low battery notification with charging indicator, up to 180 days battery life
- Easy installation: The camera is designed to be easy to install, and it can be set up in just a few minutes.
- Motion detection: The IeGeek camera features motion detection, which can alert you when there is activity in the area being monitored.
- Limited field of view: The IeGeek camera has a limited field of view, which may make it less effective for monitoring large areas.
- Limited support: there may be limited support available if you run into any issues with the camera.
So far the customer rated is excellent, one of best solar security cameras in the market. When best deal is still applied, you’ll be lucky of having best deal up to %50, click the link below to see the best deal and learn more details the product in Amazon (#ads).
To add higher level of security of your front door, you may consider wireless door lock in addition of doorbell video cameras for peace of mind.
For 8 channels NVR system for business needs, you may consider Lorex 8 channel active deterrent security cameras vs Reolink, or the larger channels requirement you may consider GW Security 32 channels system kit.