Reolink vs Dahua vs Hikvision Security Camera Systems
When folks ask question which one is better, Reolink, Dahua or Hikvision? Read the following article to understand the three security camera systems.
Reolink, Dahua or Hikvision
The question above is a common one, because the three vendors produce various kinds of security camera devices, including recording units and accessories. However, in general the products released by Reolink are relatively cheaper than Dahua and Hikvision with the same / similar specs and features.
Dahua and Hikvision
Both Dahua and Hikvision were founded in 2001 and both are from China. Both Dahua and Hikvision have dominated the security camera market in large number of countries worldwide. Dahua majority shares are owned by a Chinese husband and wife and partly controlled by the China government.
Unlike Dahua, Hikvision is a state-owned manufacturer Chinese government. However, because the USA considers that the Chinese government uses Hikvision camera security systems for monitoring purposes in human rights violations in Xinjiang, Hikvision has been banned by the USA since Jan 2019.
No wonder you will have difficulty getting original products from Hikvision and Dahua in the market, except for OEM products.
When to use Reolink, Dahua or Hikvision? Of course this is a general question because it depends on your business needs regarding security systems. We take a look at some of the flagship products of these three vendors.
We will take a series of flagship cameras from each of these vendors that can represent the latest technology, at least camera technology that can detect human / vehicle, or AI (artificial intelligent) technology with sophisticated algorithms to be able to recognize faces captured by the camera and compare them with facial data in the system. .
This product is one of the newest products released by Dahua which is a 4k resolution bullet model security camera with varifocal lens and is equipped with e-poe technology allowing data transmission up to 800m via UTP or coaxial cable. UTP cables in general can only run up to 300ft for data transmission without noise.
If your business needs monitoring cameras at a distance, this is a new camera product with e-poe technology that can be placed as far as 800m from the recording unit.
- Security camera with ½.5inch Starvis CMOS sensor 4K @15 fps / 3MP @30 fps with intelligent video system
- Comes with varifocal 2.7mm ~ 12mm lens, 4x motorized optical zoom lens
- Horizontal view angle: 110 (wide) ~ 40 degree (Tele)
- True WDR 120dB and true day and night
- Smart 4x IR LEDs range up to 164ft (50m) for night vision in darkness
- ePOE support for long distance data transmission
- IP67 weatherproof and IK10 vandal resistant with metal housing
- Audio In/Out interface and 2CH In and 1CH Out alarm
- Doesn’t support face detection
With the support of this e-poe camera technology, it can be connected to a recorder unit up to 800m away, very suitable if implemented in a large industrial area. And with 4x optical zoom and 4k resolution, image details are very sharp even with 4x zoom in. You can connect the camera to compliant NVR unit, click the link below to shop the product on Amazon (#ads).
One of the new Deepview series products released by Hikvision is the IDS-2CD7AC5G0 which is a security camera with smart series that is embedded with deep learning algorithm in each unit. This product is very sophisticated with 6 deep learning algorithms that you can choose to enable according to certain special needs.
One of the 6 algorithms is ‘Hard Hat Detection’ which can be used in the supervision of construction projects, mining projects, or workshops with high safety standards where the use of standard helmets in the field is a must to avoid falling objects from above.
Besides that, one of deep learning algorithms that can be enabled amid Covid-19 pandemic is ‘Attribute based People Counting’ which can be used at the entrance and exit point of a room with restrictions on the number of people allowed in a room. This is to ensure that social distancing can be enforced safely.
See also Dahua vs Hikvision thermal body cameras.
When do you need this types of security camera? Take a look at the following highlights.
- Bullet model POE security camera with high resolution up to 12MP (4096 × 2160) @25fps
- Image sensor 1/1.7″ progressive scan CMOS
- Minimum illumination Color @ ƒ/1.2 0.009 lux; B/W @ ƒ/1.2 0.0009 lux
- Varifocal 2.8mm ~ 12mm lens, Horizontal 6.2° to 36.4° view angle
- IR Night vision range up to 164ft (50m)
- Six deep learning algorithms you can enable as needed including multi-target multi type detection; perimeter protection; people counting; hard hat detection; queue management; ePTZ auto tracking.
- Audio and alarm interface
- Local memory storage up to 256GB, support any network storage
To be able to maximize the features and algorithms of this sophisticated camera series, use a compliant Deepview series NVR unit we will discuss below later.
Both Dahua and Hikvision security cameras above are sophisticated cameras at quite expensive prices. And to maximize the smart algorithm features also requires compliant recorder unit and the price is also much more expensive than NVR unit in general.
For your home or small business needs, you should consider the products offered by Reolink that are sold at affordable price.
One of the smart products released by Reolink is the Reolink rlc-820a which can detect humans and vehicles, not only common motion detection but also human / vehicle motion detection. This is to reduce false alerts including motions due to fallen leaves, or pets.
For the needs of your home or small business security system, this camera is very appropriate and you can buy Reolink kit at very affordable price with good performance according to your low budget. Compare this with the sophisticated products released by Dahua and Hikvision above which are of course too much if used for security camera systems at home or your small business.
- 4k resolution @25 fps dome model POE security camera
- Fixed lens 4.0mm, f/2.0 with IR Cut filter and 87 degree horizontal view angle
- Night vision with 18pcs IR LEDs range up to 100ft (30m)
- One way audio with built-in microphone
- Local memory storage micro SD Card up to 256GB
- POE 802.3af 48V active; 12 VDC
- Smart alarm with human / vehicle detection with alerts
- IP66 weatherproof
- Supports Google assistant
Use compliant Reolink nvr unit that supports human / vehicle detection and Reolink offers the kit in an economical price with 4pcs cameras or 8pcs cameras.
Click here to SHOP Reolink rlc-820a (add-on camera)
Here are the NVR units that are compatible with the security cameras discussed above, and of course you must use compatible recorder unit so that all camera features can perform optimally.
The three security cameras above are add-on cameras that you need to connect to a compatible recorder (NVR) unit and the most suitable one is when connected to a recorder unit of the same brand.
We take three flagship NVR system products from Dahua, Hikvision and Reolink and choose which one is suitable to your business and budget needs.
Dahua DHI-NVR4216-16P-I Series
One of the NVR systems that is ideal for industrial or office systems with a very tight security system is the Dahua DHI-NVR4216 series which supports ePOE (extended POE) technology. This ePOE technology can support transmission up to 800m (2625 ft) from security camera to recorder unit. Typically in standard POE you can run UTP cable only up to 300ft (100m).
In addition, this series also supports the Dahua analytic algorithm with facial recognition capabilities which is perfect for the needs of industries that require entrance / exit management with facial recognition.
- 16 channel 4k NVR system with smart H.265+ video compression support
- Comes with 8-port POE standards and 8-port ePOE / EoC for long signal transmission up to 800m (2625ft)
- Supports face recognition up to 12 facial images /second with facial database management up to 20,000 faces database
- With stranger mode the system can detect faces not found on database records
- Supports perimeter protection up to 4 channel with 10 rules each channel
You can use any compliant security cameras that can take advantage of this NVR unit and preferably add-on security camera with 4k resolution with AI face recognition feature. For very long distance cameras from the recording unit, you can use security cameras that support e-poe such as the Dahua N85CB5Z 4k outdoor camera.
Click the following product link to shop the product in Amazon (#ads).
2. Hikvision iDS-9632NXI-I8/X
Hikvision iDS-9632NXI is one of the DeepMind series with deep learning algorithms which can also support face recognition like the Dahua series above, but this NVR system does not support e-poe for long distance signal transmission with single run UTP cable.
The 9600 series NVR system is one of Hikvision NVR series that supports face recognition in addition to the 6700 series and 7700 series. If you need the NVR system that supports both face recognition and perimeter protection, then you need to choose the 96000 series.
This NVR system series can accommodate up to 100,000 face images, compared to the above Dahua which can only support up to 20,000 face images.
- 32 channel 4K NVR system with DeepMind deep learning algorithm technology
- Up to 32 face picture libraries and up to 100,000 face image and support face picture comparison alarm
- Up to 16 channels that support perimeter protection and up to 8 channels that supports face recognition for video streaming or up to 16 channel facial recognition for face image
- Support perimeter protection, video analysis for human and vehicle recognition
- Up to 320Mbps incoming bandwidth
- 2x VGA up to 1080p and 2x HDMI video output up to 4k
- 8 SATA interface up to 10TB each HDD
- Support RAID 0/ 1/ 5/ 6/ or RAID 10
If your business needs do not require surveillance system for critical high security areas, security camera system that supports face recognition, perimeter protection with alarm, and also system with very large storage needs, especially storage needs with very critical backup levels with RAID system, then you can simply use the NVR system for small and medium businesses such as the Hikvision 7616 series. Click here for 7616 series spec details. If they do, click the product link below to shop the product in Amazon (#ads).
3. Reolink Kit
If your business needs are too much by using Dahua or Hikvision which can provide face recognition features for a high level of security system, then it is sufficient for you to implement Reolink kit which supports face and vehicle detection to reduce false alert.
Reolink releases several products that support human and vehicle detections to reduce false alerts. When they are compared to previous products that were still standard motion detection, the latest products have been ready with human and vehicle detection. With prices that are more economical than Dahua and Hikvision products, Reolink is sufficient for housing and small business needs.
In this kit Reolink offers 4k security camera kit that consists of Reolink 16 channel 4k NVR system and 4pcs / 8pcs dome models 4k security cameras. Both NVR and security cameras support human and vehicle detection, not just motion detection standards thereby reducing false detection.
When compared to Dahua and Hikvision that we have discussed above, this Reolink kit does not support face recognition with face records storage. When the captured face by the camera and compared it with face records database in the system and no data matched, the system will trigger alerts you need to follow up.
- 16 channel 4k NVR system kit with built-in 16-port POE switch with Plug and play system
- Preinstalled 2TB HDD you can expand up to 12TB HDD storage
- Supports human and vehicle detection
- 1-4 Channel synchronous playback, up to 12MP (4096×3072) live view / playback
- All the included cameras are Reolink RLC-820A 4k with human / vehicle detection supports as discussed above
For houses with large front and backyard, apartment, schools and retail stores that need for up to 16 security cameras, this kit is perfectly adequate. With security camera resolution of up to 12MP, you will always have image details even with zoom in.
With 4pcs Reolink rlc-820a and preinstalled 2TB Hard disk, this Reolink 4k security kit is tagged with the price around $560 in Amazon (#ads).
You have options to add more 2pcs or 4pcs cameras, see how they testimony the product in Amazon.