Reolink is a growing player in the security camera industry, and is increasingly gaining popularity among consumers. While it may not have the same level of market share as Dahua or Hikvision, Reolink is still a major competitor in the industry.
In This Article:
- Reolink vs Dahua vs Hikvision
- Things to Consider
- Security camera Comparison
- NVR Comparison
Reolink vs Dahua vs Hikvision
The best brand and model of security camera will depend on your specific needs and budget. It’s important to carefully research and compare specs, features and prices before making a purchase to ensure you get the right camera for your needs.
Things to Consider
When comparing the three brands, there are several differences to consider in general including popularity, prices, performance, and market segment.
Hikvision is one of the most well-known brands in the security camera market, followed by Dahua and Reolink. Hikvision and Dahua are also considered as the top two leaders in the global video surveillance industry, with Hikvision being the market leader.
In terms of prices, Reolink cameras are generally more affordable than Dahua and Hikvision. However, the cost of security cameras can vary depending on the features, resolution, and capabilities of the specific model.
All three brands have high-quality cameras that perform well in different conditions. Hikvision and Dahua are known for their advanced features and capabilities, including facial recognition, license plate recognition, and advanced analytics. Reolink cameras are also highly capable and perform well, but may not have all of the advanced features of the other two brands.
Hikvision and Dahua were founded in 2001 and both are from China and tend to focus on the commercial and enterprise markets, while Reolink targets the residential and small business markets. However, all three brands offer a range of cameras suitable for different applications.
Unlike Dahua, Hikvision is a state-owned manufacturer Chinese government. However, because the USA considers that the Chinese government uses Hikvision camera security systems for monitoring purposes in human rights violations in Xinjiang, Hikvision has been banned by the USA since Jan 2019.
It’s not uncommon to encounter difficulty finding genuine Hikvision and Dahua products in the market, as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) products are often more readily available.
Overall, the best brand and model of security camera will depend on your specific needs, preferences, and budget. It’s important to carefully consider your options and compare features and prices before making a purchase.
Let’s compare few flagship products between these three vendors, and the recent Network Video Recorder (NVR) systems.
Security camera Comparison
To compare the latest technology in security cameras, we will select a range of flagship cameras from each vendor that are capable of detecting humans and/or vehicles, as well as those that feature AI technology with sophisticated algorithms for recognizing faces captured by the camera and comparing them with facial data in the system..
This Dahua product is a 4K resolution bullet model security camera with a varifocal lens and is equipped with ePoE technology, allowing data transmission of up to 800 meters via UTP or coaxial cable. This is a significant improvement over the typical UTP cable, which can only transmit data up to 300ft without noise.
If you require monitoring cameras at a greater distance, this new camera with ePoE technology can be placed up to 800m from the recording unit, making it a reliable option for businesses in need of long-range surveillance.
- Security camera with ½.5inch Starvis CMOS sensor 4K @15 fps / 3MP @30 fps with intelligent video system
- Comes with varifocal 2.7mm ~ 12mm lens, 4x motorized optical zoom lens
- Horizontal view angle: 110 (wide) ~ 40 degree (Tele)
- True WDR 120dB and true day and night
- Smart 4x IR LEDs range up to 164ft (50m) for night vision in darkness
- ePOE support for long distance data transmission
- IP67 weatherproof and IK10 vandal resistant with metal housing
- Audio In/Out interface and 2CH In and 1CH Out alarm
- Doesn’t support face detection
This security camera with e-poe technology allows you to run the cable from the camera to the NVR unit as far as 800m away, ideal for deployment in a large industrial area. And with 4x optical zoom and 4k resolution, image details are greatly sharp even with 4x zoom in.
One of the new Deepview series products released by Hikvision is the IDS-2CD7AC5G0 which is a security camera with smart series that is embedded with deep learning algorithm in each unit. This product is very sophisticated with 6 deep learning algorithms that you can choose to enable according to certain special needs.
One of the 6 algorithms is ‘Hard Hat Detection’ which can be used in the supervision of construction projects, mining projects, or workshops with high safety standards where the use of standard helmets in the field is a must to avoid falling objects from above.
Besides that, one of deep learning algorithms that can be enabled amid Covid-19 pandemic is ‘Attribute based People Counting’ which can be used at the entrance and exit point of a room with restrictions on the number of people allowed in a room. This is to ensure that social distancing can be enforced safely.
When do you need this types of security camera? Take a look at the following highlights.
- Bullet model POE security camera with high resolution up to 12MP (4096 × 2160) @25fps
- Image sensor 1/1.7″ progressive scan CMOS
- Minimum illumination Color @ ƒ/1.2 0.009 lux; B/W @ ƒ/1.2 0.0009 lux
- Varifocal 2.8mm ~ 12mm lens, Horizontal 6.2° to 36.4° view angle
- IR Night vision range up to 164ft (50m)
- Six deep learning algorithms you can enable as needed including multi-target multi type detection; perimeter protection; people counting; hard hat detection; queue management; ePTZ auto tracking.
- Audio and alarm interface
- Local memory storage up to 256GB, support any network storage
In order to fully utilize the advanced features and algorithms of these high-end camera models, it is recommended to pair them with a Deepview series NVR unit, which we will discuss in more detail below. Click the link below to shop the oem product on Amazon (#ads).
Both Dahua and Hikvision offer sophisticated security cameras that come with a high price tag. However, to make the most of their intelligent algorithm features, it is necessary to use a compatible recorder unit, which can be even more expensive than a typical NVR unit.
If you are looking for affordable security camera options for your home or small business, consider the products offered by Reolink. Their prices are budget-friendly and can meet your needs.
Reolink has introduced a smart product called the Reolink rlc-820a, which is capable of detecting both humans and vehicles, in addition to the usual motion detection. This helps to minimize false alerts triggered by factors like fallen leaves or pets.
If you’re looking for a security camera system that is suitable for your home or small business needs, the Reolink rlc-820a camera is an excellent choice. It offers reliable performance at an affordable price, making it a great option for those on a tight budget. This is in stark contrast to the high-end products from Dahua and Hikvision, which may be too expensive for home and small business security systems.
- 4k resolution @25 fps dome model POE security camera
- Fixed lens 4.0mm, f/2.0 with IR Cut filter and 87 degree horizontal view angle
- Night vision with 18pcs IR LEDs range up to 100ft (30m)
- One way audio with built-in microphone
- Local memory storage micro SD Card up to 256GB
- POE 802.3af 48V active; 12 VDC
- Smart alarm with human / vehicle detection with alerts
- IP66 weatherproof
- Supports Google assistant
Use compliant Reolink nvr unit that supports human / vehicle detection and Reolink offers the kit in an economical price with 4pcs cameras or 8pcs cameras.
Here are the NVR units that are compatible with the security cameras discussed above, and of course you must use compatible recorder unit so that all camera features can perform optimally.
The three security cameras above are add-on cameras that you need to connect to a compatible recorder (NVR) unit and the most suitable one is when connected to a recorder unit of the same brand.
We take three flagship NVR system products from Dahua, Hikvision and Reolink and choose which one is suitable to your business and budget needs.
Dahua DHI-NVR4216-16P-I Series
One of the NVR systems that is ideal for industrial or office systems with a very tight security system is the Dahua DHI-NVR4216 series which supports ePOE (extended POE) technology. This ePOE technology can support transmission up to 800m (2625 ft) from security camera to recorder unit. Typically in standard POE you can run UTP cable only up to 300ft (100m).
In addition, this series also supports the Dahua analytic algorithm with facial recognition capabilities which is perfect for the needs of industries that require entrance / exit management with facial recognition.
- 16 channel 4k NVR system with smart H.265+ video compression support
- Comes with 8-port POE standards and 8-port ePOE / EoC for long signal transmission up to 800m (2625ft)
- Supports face recognition up to 12 facial images /second with facial database management up to 20,000 faces database
- With stranger mode the system can detect faces not found on database records
- Supports perimeter protection up to 4 channel with 10 rules each channel
You can use any compliant security cameras that can take advantage of this NVR unit and preferably add-on security camera with 4k resolution with AI face recognition feature. For very long distance cameras from the recording unit, you can use security cameras that support e-poe such as the Dahua N85CB5Z 4k outdoor camera.
For cost effective solution, the following kit is appropriate for small to medium businesses with budget friendly solution.
8 Channel Dahua Kit
One of popular Dahua 8 channel kits is N484E62B that consists of 4k 8-channels NVR system with pre installed 2TB Hard disk storage, plus 6x Dahua N42BJ62 4MP turret model Lite series security cameras. This kit is ideal for small to medium businesses that requires up to 8 security cameras.
Here are the highlight spec and features of cameras and the NVR system.
Dahua N42BJ62 4MP Eyeball Network Cameras
- Starlight Technology for Ultra Low-light Applications
- 4MP (2560 x 1440) at 30 fps Maximum Resolution
- 2.8 mm Fixed Lens
- Maximum IR Length 30 m (98 ft) with Smart IR
- Built-in Microphone
- Intelligent Video System
- IP67 Environmental Protection
4K Network Video Recorder
- 2 TB Pre-installed Had Disk Drive
- Supports Remote Configuration and Management of IP Cameras
- Smart H.265+ and Smart H.264+ Dual Codec
- Up to 8MP Resolution for Preview and Playback
- 80 Mbps Incoming Bandwidth
This kit is tagged with price point roughly $767.00 in Amazon, the customer rating is excellent so far, best value for money for small to medium businesses.
Click here to see this Dahua 8 channel kit in Amazon (#ads)
Or click here for the Dahua NVR when you find this Dahua kit is out of stock.
Hikvision iDS-9632NXI belongs to the DeepMind series and comes with deep learning algorithms that enable it to support face recognition, similar to the Dahua series mentioned earlier. However, unlike the Dahua series, this NVR system does not support e-poe for long distance signal transmission with single run UTP cable. For the best value solution, you can click on this link.
Among the Hikvision NVR series, the 9600 series is one that supports face recognition, in addition to the 6700 and 7700 series. If you require an NVR system that supports both face recognition and perimeter protection, then the 96000 series is the way to go.
With the ability to store up to 100,000 face images, the 9600 series NVR system from Hikvision outperforms the Dahua series mentioned earlier, which can only accommodate up to 20,000 face images.
- 32 channel 4K NVR system with DeepMind deep learning algorithm technology
- Up to 32 face picture libraries and up to 100,000 face image and support face picture comparison alarm
- Up to 16 channels that support perimeter protection and up to 8 channels that supports face recognition for video streaming or up to 16 channel facial recognition for face image
- Support perimeter protection, video analysis for human and vehicle recognition
- Up to 320Mbps incoming bandwidth
- 2x VGA up to 1080p and 2x HDMI video output up to 4k
- 8 SATA interface up to 10TB each HDD
- Support RAID 0/ 1/ 5/ 6/ or RAID 10
If your business does not require a surveillance system for high-security areas that need advanced features such as face recognition, perimeter protection with alarm, and extremely large storage needs with critical backup levels using RAID systems, then you can opt for a simpler NVR system designed for small and medium businesses, such as the Hikvision 7616 series. Click the product link below to shop the product in Amazon (#ads).
Another nvr system that provides various models of 32 channel nvr system kit is GW Security, see this gw security 32 channel vs lorex nvr system kit.
For a more cost-effective option that caters to the needs of small and medium businesses, Hikvision has introduced several value express kits that range from 8 channel kits to 16 channel kits. These kits include various models of turret and dome POE outdoor cameras.
Hikvision EKI-K164T412 kit
Hikvision EKI-K164T412 kit is one of value express series which are cost-effective solutions for those small to medium businesses that looking value-oriented solutions. This kit comes with 1x Hikvision ERI-K216-P16 NVR 16 channel NVR system + 12x Hikvision ECI-T2(4)4F2 Cameras.
Here are the highlights of bothe the NVR system and the camera systems.
Hikvision ECI-T24F2 turret model cameras and the NVR system:
- 1/3” (4 MP) Progressive Scan CMOS
- 2560 x 1440 (4 MP) Resolution @20 fps
- Fixed lens 2.8 mm, FoV: Horizontal 100°, vertical 55°, diagonal 117°
- 120 dB WDR for Clear Images
- EXIR 2.0 with 100 ft (30 m) IR Range
- H.265+/ H.265/ H.264+/ H.264/MJPEG
- IP67 Protection with Durable Metal Housing
- ONVIF (PROFILE S, PROFILE G), ISAPI
- Up to 8 MP Resolution Recording
- H.265+/ H.265/ H.264+/ H.264/MPEG
- Plug-and-Play with 16 PoE Cameras
- Up to 2 SATA Interfaces up to 6TB
This Hikvision 16 channel Kit that comes with 12x Turret model 4MP outdoor security cameras is tagged around $1,600 in Amazon and other online stores.
Click here to see this Hikvision 16 channel kit in Amazon (#ads)
If your business needs a high level of security system with face recognition features but Dahua or Hikvision is too much for your requirements, then Reolink kit is a sufficient alternative. This kit supports face and vehicle detection, which helps to reduce false alerts.
Reolink has released several products that support human and vehicle detections to reduce false alerts. Compared to previous products that only offered standard motion detection, the latest Reolink products are equipped with human and vehicle detection at more economical prices than Dahua and Hikvision products. This makes Reolink a suitable option for housing and small business needs.
The 4k security camera kit offered by Reolink includes a Reolink 16 channel 4k NVR system and 4 or 8 dome models of 4k security cameras. Both the NVR system and security cameras support human and vehicle detection, which is an improvement over standard motion detection and helps to reduce false detections.
In comparison to the Dahua and Hikvision systems discussed earlier, the Reolink kit does not support face recognition with face records storage. This means that if a captured face is compared with the face records database in the system and no match is found, the system will trigger alerts that you need to follow up.
- 16 channel 4k NVR system kit with built-in 16-port POE switch with Plug and play system
- Preinstalled 2TB HDD you can expand up to 12TB HDD storage
- Supports human and vehicle detection
- 1-4 Channel synchronous playback, up to 12MP (4096×3072) live view / playback
- All the included cameras are Reolink RLC-820A 4k with human / vehicle detection supports as discussed above
For houses with large front and backyard, apartment, schools and retail stores that need for up to 16 security cameras, this kit is perfectly adequate. With security camera resolution of up to 12MP, you will always have image details even with zoom in.
With 4pcs Reolink rlc-820a and preinstalled 2TB Hard disk, this Reolink 4k security kit is tagged with the price around $560 in Amazon (#ads).
You have options to add more 2pcs or 4pcs cameras, see how they testimony the product in Amazon.
For 8 camera system you may consider reolink or lorex 8/16 channel nvr system – click here comparison Reolink vs Lorex Fussion kit security camera system. Or you may try Annke vs reolink 4k 8 channel NVR system.