The need for outdoor POE cameras is greatly increased considering the security system of your home or business property begins by monitoring the entry point that is typically located outdoor so that the placement of outdoor cameras that are weather resistant must be adjusted to suit the needs.
Various models of high resolution dome type POE outdoor camera are available in the market today including most popular products offered by Amcrest, Hikvision, Reolink, Foscam, and Lorex. Which one is best to meet your business need?
Why POE camera? The good thing with POE camera is that you don’t need to provide power outlet near the camera in area where power is difficult or not possible to install such as in ceiling or outdoor. POE camera allows you run only one network cable (CAT5e UTP cable) for supplying both data and power cable.
In businesses where you require 4, 8, 16 and even more cameras to install, deploying POE cameras is preference instead of coaxial analog cameras. You just connect the POE cameras to the NVR system with built-in POE switch such as 16 channel NVR by GW and LaView or 32 channel H.265 NVR system that supports high resolution H.265 compression format of 4k / 8mp outdoor cameras.
With outdoor placement, generally the difficulty comes when there is no power outlet is available in the point where you need to install the camera. it is therefore you need IP camera that supports POE so you just need to run either a single CAT5e or CAT6 network cable from the camera to the NVR or POE Switch. Many models of PTZ camera come with POE support, and some models of PTZ camera come with wifi such as Foscam PTZ wireless camera.
High Rated Outdoor POE Camera
Each vendor releases several POE Outdoor camera models and not all of them get a good rating in the market. Which products released by each vendor get top rated in the market receiveed the best positive customer reviews among the products released? We show the following best products by each vendor released by Amcrest, Lorex, Hikvision, Reolink and also GW Security.
1. Amcrest IP8M-T2499
Amcrest IP8M-T2499 is a dome turret model designed with 8MP / 4k resolution which is very popular among all Amcrest products released to the market. The turret model is one of the models designed with better night vision capability with a range of up to 164ft which is further from the standard dome model. This model uses the Sony Starvis IMX274 image sensor with S3LM Ambarella chipset.
- Turret model 4k resolution outdoor poe camera with H.265 compression format
- Resolution up to 8.0MP @15 fps, 3.0MP @30 fps
- Comes with fixed lens 2.8mm with 112 degree wide angle view
- Wide Dynamic Range up to 120dB
- Features enhanced low light night vision up to 164ft with 1x High power IR LED and the latest IMX274 Sony Starvis image sensor and S3LM Ambarella Chipset.
- POE support and support memory SD CArd up to 128GB
- IP67 weatherproof with heavy duty metal housing
- Manual adjustment pan up to 360 degree /tilt up to 78 degree
- 1-way Audio with built-in Microphone
- Intelligent Motion Alerts, Email Alerts/Snapshots as well as Mobile and Web Apps
- One way audio
- @15 fps at 8MP
This POE outdoor camera is mounted on the ceiling ideal for either indoor or outdoor, and the good thing is that you can adjust the view angle to meet your need. Click the link below to shop in Amazon and learn more details.
Now let’s take another model offered by Hikvision.
2. Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I
If you are satisfied with 4MP high resolution of Amcrest IP4M-1028E, but you require similar camera with internal memory storage you may consider one offered by Hikvision – the DS-2CD2143G0-I with internal memory storage up to 128GB. A newer version of Hikvision dome POE outdoor camera with newer H.265+ capable compression format.
Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I model has two fixed lens options, the 2.8mm, and 4.0 fixed lens with different field of view angle. Both model come with bracket adjustment angle.
- Fixed lens 1/3 inch CMOS sensor 2.8 mm (4.0mm option)
- 103 degree FoV (2.8mm) or 83 degree FoV (4.0mm)
- H.265+; H.265; H.264+; H.264 supports
- Three video streams
- 4mp (2688×1520) image resolution @30 fps (main stream)
- 120dB WDR and 3D digital noise reduction (DNR)
- Night vision up to 100 ft (30 m) wavelength 850nm
- Internal memory storage up to 128GB with SD/SDHC/SDXC slot
- Two way audio (mono) interfaces
- Protection Level: IP67, IK10, TVS 2000V Lightning Protection, Surge Protection and Voltage Transient Protection
- More expensive
If compare with Amcrest IP8m-t2499 you can find that Hikvision offers more solid housing with TVS 2000V lightening protection, surge protection and voltage transient protection. Amcrest doesn’t has these three protection features, this product is one of best outdoor security cameras offered by Hikvision.
3. Reolink RLC-422
Unlike the two POE outdoor cameras as discussed above Amcrest and Hikvision, this Reolink RLC-422 comes with auto-focus motorized 4x optical zoom. Resolution is as high as those Amcrest and Hikvision which is 4MP. Casing is made from solid aluminum, it’s weatherproof casing ideal for outdoor.
- Varifocal lens 2.8 ~ 12mm
- Viewing angle ranging from 36 degree (@12mm) up to 100 degree (@2.8mm)
- 4x optical motorized zoom and autofocus
- High resolution of 4MP (2560 x 1440 pixels) @30 fps real time
- Night vision distance up to 65 ft (20m)
- POE supports
- Network connection supports P2P and QR Code scan
- Onvif compliant
- No audio
- No local memory storage
This POE outdoor camera model is technically rich of features with beneficial of autofocus motorized optical zoom, one of best outdoor security cameras offered by Reolink. In some models of bullet cameras you can find varifocal lens camera, you can adjust the viewing angle manually to fit your need. See also varifocal lens 5MP cameras.
4. Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A
Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A is a 6mp resolution mini dome POE outdoor camera, higher resolution compared with Amcrest or Hikvision as discussed above. This product is one of best product in mini dome camera offered by Dahua.
Instead of audio In/Out interface, Dahua offers only a built-in Microphone for audio In, no out audio.
- Fixed lens 2.8mm with ½.9 inch 6MP progressive scan CMOS
- 6mp (3072×2048) @20 fps with 110 degree field of view angle
- H.265; H.264 video compression supports
- Night vision up to 30 m(98ft)
- 120dB WDR and 3D digital noise reduction (DNR)
- Built-in microphone for audio In
- Adjustment angle ~360 degree horizontal rotation and ~65 degree vertical rotation
- IP67 weatherproof
- No internal memory storage
- In audio only
See that if you compare with Hikvision, Dahua offers higher resolution but lower frame rate. However, Dahua doesn’t come with internal storage, so you need to connect to compatible NVR unit. The price is tagged with much cheaper price compared with Amcrest or Hikvision.
5. Lorex LNE8974 8MP
If you require high resolution of ultra HD camera, you may consider Lorex 8mp (4k) POE outdoor camera. 4k security camera offers 4 times as high resolution as 1080p resolution camera. Lorex LNE8974 is a Turret Dome model camera with Ultra HD resolution @15 fps with H.265 compression format.
The good thing is that it comes with 4x optical zoom and 16x digital zoom with range of 39 ~C 102 degree field of view angle.
- Turret dome model with 4k resolution @15 fps, 2k @30 fps
- 2pcs IR LED range up to 150 ft(50m)
- Varifocal lens 2.7~12mm
- 4x optical zoom plus 16x digital zoom
- 265, H.264 compression format
- Range of 39~102 degree field of view angle
- Metal aluminum based enclosure with IP67 weatherproof
- True WDR up to 100dB
- Built-in audio
- POE supports
- Frame rate is only 15 fps @4k resolution, 2k @30 fps
- no local memory storage
This product is one of best outdoor security cameras offered by Lorex. Lorex introduces various models of 4k security cameras instead of this LNE8974 turret dome model, it also offers bullet model including Lorex LNB8111B 4k cameras or LNB8005 4k cameras.
With the absence of audio and local memory storage, Amcrest IP4M-1028W is a good choice for 4MP @30 fps POE outdoor camera. For cheaper model with higher resolution, Dahua 6mp is a good idea. For 4k Ultra HD high resolution camera Lorex LNE8974 is a good choice.
See also new Amcrest IP5m-1176e vs Hikvision vs GW Security 5mp outdoor cameras and see also new introduction of Reolink RLC423WS vs Foscam and GW Security wireless outdoor PTZ camera. See also various comparion models of Amcrest vs Hikvision security cameras.