Best IP Camera With Optical Zoom
One of features that must be possessed by a PTZ camera is the ability to zoom either using optical or digital zoom. The zoom capability of a PTZ camera is indeed required knowing this camera must be able to explore the entire area including getting object details closer with zoom-in capability. With zoom-in means compressing long distance closer.
Optical zoom provides image quality that is much more vivid and sharper than digital zoom. Because the image is taken by means of mechanical optics to produce the original image while through digital zoom using processed software by cropping the images so the quality of the original image is distorted and noisy.
IP Camera Optical Zoom
The following are the featured products from each vendor which released several PTZ camera models with optical zoom capabilities.
1. Amcrest IP4m-1053
This product is designed with a very sturdy body with aluminum material so that it is ideal for outdoor and is exposed to weather changes so that it is suitable for industrial needs. You can mount on a pole in a large area so that it can be covered properly.
Amcrest released several ptz camera models and the Amcrest ip8m-1053 is the most getting good appreciation from customers with excellent customer ratings too. The resolution is also two times higher than the previous PTZ camera models and it is designed with 12x optical zoom.
If you have to choose between PTZ cameras with 1080p resolution and 25x optical zoom (as in the Amcrest IP2M-858W model) and PTZ cameras with resolutions that are double 1080p (4mp) with 12x optical zoom (like this product) then choose the higher resolution model. Because on objects with the same distance you can get a larger and more detailed image.
- Speed dome ptz camera with High resolution 2688(H) x1520(V) @30 fps and supports H.265 latest compression format
- Varifocal 5.3mm ~ 64.0mm lens 4mp CMOS image sensor with Ambarella Chipset S3L55M
- 58.2° (wide) ~ 4.8° (Tele) field of view angle and 12x motorized optical zoom and 16x digital zoom
- Night vision with 6pcs high power IR LEDs range up to 100m (328ft)
- Available memory slot – micro SD card up to 128GB
- Capable horizontal panning ~ 360° endless (240° /s) and ~ 90° tilting (200° /s)
- Works with Alexa by adding Alexa voice control
- POE+ (802.3at) 12V
- IP66 weatherproof with solid body construction metal housing
Amcrest ip4m-1053 is one of best ptz outdoor POE cameras in the market today. Price is always fluctuating all the time, and it is tagged around $380.00 in Amazon.
2. Lorex LNZ44P12B
Like Amcrest with 4MP PTZ camera and 12x optical zoom and 16x digital zoom, Lorex also released a similar product with the same resolution and optical zoom but at a more expensive price.
If you have a very broad property the ability of PTZ camera with high zoom capabilities is indeed very necessary. Lnz44p12b with 12x optical zoom and 16x digital zoom is perfect for you, digital zoom is turned off by default, you can easily read license plate for 400 feet away.
When compared to Amcrest ip4m-1053ew, Lorex lnz44p12b has almost the same features including image resolution, zoom factor, panning and tilting capabilities even though the panning and tilting speeds are different. However there are major differences. Please see the comparison table for Amcrest ip4m-1053 vs Lorex lnz44p12 in the article Amcrest vs Lorex IP security cameras.
- Speed dome ptz camera with 4mp resolution (2k) / 2592×1520 @30 fps
- Varifocal 5.3mm ~ 64mm lens f/1.6 ~ f/4.4 aperture range
- Range of field of view angle: 54.7°(wide angle) ~4.54° (Tele angle) and 12x optical zoom and 16x digital zoom nearly the same as Amcrest ip4m-1053
- Night vision with flood light of incredible IR light range up to 300ft (100m) and with the addition of ambient light trigger color night vision with CNV technology
- Horizontal Panning 0°~360° (Endless); -15°~90° Tilting vertically; Max speed 200°/Sec Pan; Max 120°/Sec Tilt
- POE and IP66 weatherproof
Cons (compared with Amcrest)
- No audio /alarm interface
- No local memory storage slot
Technically Amcrest ip4m-1053 is more favorable compared with this Lorex lnz44p12b knowing that price is cheaper, faster panning and tilting speed, ready with audio / alarm interface, local memory SD Card slot, but with the lack of color night vision. Lnz44p12 is one of best ip camera with zoom introduced by Lorex so far. Click the product link below for more technical detail and link to shop in Amazon.
3. GW Security gw5501p
GW Security always provides alternative products that are very competitive compared to other products with features and specs that are often higher. One of featured products introduced by GW Security with PTZ model is gw5501p which can be compared with Amcrest and lorex products we have discussed above. Gw5501p is slightly higher resolution (5MP) than ip4m-1053 and Lorex lnz44p12 and is also featuring 20x optical zoom.
The other difference is also about the protection against any harsh environment including lightning protection, ip66 waterproof, anti-fog, anti-obscure, anti-shock, anti-surging, against any extreme temperature changes protection with heater, fan, wiper and with aluminum alloy housing.
- High resolution 5mp (2592 x 1920) @30 fps with H.265 compression format
- Varifocal 4.7mm ~ 94mm lens with 20x optical motorized zoom, auto focus
- Integrated 8pcs IR LEDs array with multiple angle for uniformity image brightness, range up to 328ft (100m)
- Horizontal Panning 0°~360° (Endless) with max speed 200°/Sec; -15°~90° Tilting vertically; with max speed 75°/Sec
- ideal for outdoor with lightning protection, ip66 waterproof, anti-fog, anti-obscure, anti-shock, anti-surging and Aluminum alloy housing with heater, fan and wiper
- ONVIF 2.6 compliant
- No audio interfaces
- No local memory storage slot
GW Security gw5501p is tagged around $400.00
4. Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW-DE
The Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW-DE has the most complete features compared to the above three PTZ cameras with zoom Amcrest, Lorex and GW security. It’s just a slightly lower resolution which is around 3.6MP (2560 x 1440) @ 30 fps, but this product comes with 25x optical zoom.
Not just motion detection like normally PTZ cameras in general, this product has smart detection including audio exception detection, face detection, intrusion detection, line crossing detection, region entrance detection, region exiting detection with the addition of complementary features such as two way audio interface and alarms.
Protection against any harsh outdoor environment is also as strong as GW Security including TVS 4,000 V lightning protection, surge protection, and voltage transient protection. However, with these rich features you have to spend more hundreds of bucks (around $600).
- High speed PTZ camera with 3.6MP (2560 x 1440) resolution @30 fps
- Wide range of focal length: 4.8mm ~ 120mm with field of view angle range: 57.6° (Wide view) ~2.5° (Tele view)
- Provides 25x optical motorized zoom and 16x digital zoom
- Smart IR for night vision range up to 165 ft(50m)
- Horizontal Panning 0°~360° (Endless) with max speed 300°/Sec; -5°~90° Tilting vertically; with max speed 160°/Sec
- Smart feature including basic event detection including motion and alarm; and smart detection including face and audio detection, line crossing etc.
- high grade protection level: IP66 standard, TVS 4,000 V lightning protection, surge protection, and voltage transient protection
- high-priced product
Of course, Hikvision with rich features is worth the price. Click a complete list of spec detail via the following product link below including current price and rating in Amazon.
5. Reolink RLC-423s
The above three products, the ptz camera with optical zoom released by Amcrest, Lorex and GW Security are tagged with high prices, you may consider other models of ip camera with optical zoom with more economical price offered by Reolink and Hikvision.
One of the featured products offered by Reolink with PTZ camera model is Reolink RLC-423. The resolution is quite high, almost the same as the camera offered by Gw security. However, it only comes with 4 optical zoom, ideal for homes.
- Mini dome PTZ camera with high resolution 5mp (3072 x 1728) @20 fps
- Varifocal 2.7mm ~ 12mm lens with 4x optical motorized zoom auto focus
- 98° (wide) ~33° (Tele) Range of horizontal field of view angle
- Night vision support with 6pcs of IR LEDs illuminating up to 190ft (60m) distance
- Panning horizontal endless 360° with speed up to 180° /s; tilting 1.5°~90° with speed ~90° /s
- Power Supply: 12V DC or 48V PoE (802.3at)
- IP66 weatherproof
- Not Onvif, Can only work with Reolink NVR
Reolink rlc-322s has wifi version should you prefer wifi connection than wired POE connection. The price is cheaper than similar products from different vendors. See also various comparison of Amcrest vs Reolink IP camera models and also comparison between Hikvision vs Lorex POE cameras.